Open as PDF
The following procedure will disable (or re-enable) ESP
functionality in the vehicle:
1. Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position.
2. Turn the steering wheel until it is centered and the
wheels are pointed straight ahead.
3. Cycle the ignition key OFF to ON.
4. Wait approximately five seconds for the system bulb
5. Turn and hold the steering wheel one-half turn to the
6. Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds.
7. Turn the steering wheel back to center, and turn and
hold an additional one-half turn to the left (counterclock-
8. Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds.
9. Turn the steering wheel back to center.
10. Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds.
11. Cycle the ignition key to OFF.
After performing the ESP disable procedure correctly,
“ESP OFF” will be displayed in the odometer for approxi-
mately 12 seconds each time the ignition is moved to ON.
Repeating the ESP disable procedure will re-enable nor-
mal ESP operation.
ESP/BAS Warning Light
The malfunction indicator lamp for the ESP is
combined with the BAS indicator. The “ESP/
BAS Warning Light” in the instrument cluster
comes on when the ignition switch is turned to
the “ON” position. It should go out with the engine
STARTING AND OPERATING 385