Open as PDF
Use only compact chains, or other traction aids that meet
SAE type “Class S” specifications. Chains must be the
proper size for the vehicle, as recommended by the chain
NOTE: Do not use tire chains on a compact spare tire.
To avoid damage to your vehicle or tires, observe the following
• Because of restricted chain clearance between tires and other sus-
pension components, it is important that only chains in good
condition are used. Broken chains can cause serious damage. Stop
the vehicle immediately if noise occurs that could indicate chain
breakage. Remove the damaged parts of the chain before further
• Install chains on the front wheels as tightly as possible and then
retighten after driving about
mile (0.8 km).
• Do not exceed 45 mph (70 km/h).
• Drive cautiously and avoidsevere turns and largebumps, especially
with a loaded vehicle.
• Do not use on rear wheels of All Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles.
• Do not drive for prolonged period on dry pavement.
• Observe the tire chain manufacturer’s instructions on the method of
installation, operatingspeed, and conditionsfor use. Alwaysuse the
lower suggested operating speed of the chain manufacturer if
different than the speed recommended by the manufacture.
330 STARTING AND OPERATING