Open as PDF
Using a new battery that has not been fully charged can damage the bat-
tery and result in a shorter life. It can also hinder vehicle performance.
Follow the battery charging instructions on page 121 before installing
1. Ensure that the battery is fully charged.
2. Place the battery in the battery holder.
3. With conventional batteries, install the battery vent tube (sealed bat-
teries do not have a vent tube).
NOTE: The vent tube must be free of obstructions and securely installed.
Route the tube away from the frame and vehicle body to prevent con-
tact with electrolyte.
4. Coat the terminals with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly.
5. Connect and tighten the red (positive) cable first.
6. Connect and tighten the black (negative) cable last.
7. Install the battery cover.
8. Tighten the battery hold-down bolt.
9. Verify that cables are properly routed.
NOTE: Cables should be safely tucked away at the front and rear of the bat-
Battery gases could accumulate in an improperly installed vent tube and
cause an explosion, resulting in serious injury or death. Always ensure that
the vent tube is free of obstructions and is securely installed as