Open as PDF
1. Wear eye protection and remove any metal jewelry
such as watch bands or bracelets that might make an
inadvertent electrical contact.
2. When boost is provided by a battery in another
vehicle, park that vehicle within booster cable reach and
without letting the vehicles touch. Set the parking brake,
place the automatic transmission in PARK and turn the
ignition switch to the OFF position for both vehicles.
3. Turn off the heater, radio and all unnecessary electrical
4. Connect one end of a jumper cable to the positive
terminal of the discharged battery. Connect the other end
of the same cable to the positive terminal of the booster
5. Connect the other cable, first to the negative terminal
of the booster battery and then to the engine of the
vehicle with the discharged battery. Make sure you have
a good contact on the engine.
6. Start the engine in the vehicle which has the booster
battery, let the engine idle a few minutes, then start the
engine in the vehicle with the discharged battery.
7. When removing the jumper cables, reverse the above
sequence exactly. Be careful of the moving belts and fan.
DRIVING ON SLIPPERY SURFACES
Rapid acceleration on snow covered, wet, or other slip-
pery surfaces may cause the front wheels to pull errati-
cally to the right or left. This phenomenon occurs when
there is a difference in the surface traction under the front
WHAT TO DO IN EMERGENCIES 259