Open as PDF
The break-in period for your new POLARIS vehicle is the first ten hours
of operation, or the time it takes to use the first two full tanks of gaso-
line. No single action on your part will increase the life and performance
of your vehicle more than following the procedures for a proper break-
in. Careful treatment of a new engine and drive components will result
in more efficient performance and longer life for these components.
Do not operate at full throttle or high speeds for extended periods during
the first three hours of use.
Engine and Drivetrain Break-in
1. Fill the fuel tank with the recommended fuel. See page 41.
2. Check the oil level. Add oil if necessary.
3. Select an open area that allows room to familiarize yourself with
vehicle operation and handling.
4. Drive slowly. Vary the throttle positions. Do not operate at sustained
5. Perform regular checks on fluid levels, controls and areas outlined
on the daily pre-ride inspection checklist. See page 53.
6. Pull only light loads.
7. Change the oil and filter at 20 hours or one month.
PVT Break-in (Clutches/Belt)
Break in the clutches and belt by operating at slower speeds during the
break-in period as recommended. Pull only light loads. Avoid aggres-
sive acceleration and high speed operation during the break-in period.
If a belt fails, always clean away all debris when replacing the belt.