Open as PDF
Read the Winch Safety Precautions in the preceding pages before using
Tip: Consider practicing the operation and use of your winch before you actually
need to use it in the field.
Improper winch use can result in SEVERE INJURY or DEATH. Always follow all
winch instructions and warnings in this manual.
Each winching situation is unique.
• Take your time to think through the winching you are about to do.
• Proceed slowly and deliberately.
• Never hurry or rush during winching.
• Always pay attention to your surroundings.
• You may need to change your winching strategy if it is not working.
• Always remember that your winch is very powerful.
• There are simply some situations that you and your winch will not be able
to deal with. Do not be afraid to ask others to help when this happens.
1. Always inspect the vehicle, winch, winch cable and winch controls
for any signs of damage or parts in need of repair or replacement
before each use. Pay particular attention to the first 3 feet (1 meter)
of winch cable if the winch is being used (or has been used) for lift-
ing an accessory plow assembly. Promptly replace any worn or
2. Never operate a winch or a vehicle in need of repair or service.
3. Always apply your vehicle’s
park brake and/or park
mechanism to hold the vehicle
in place during winching. Use
wheel chocks if needed.