Open as PDF
EMISSIONS INSPECTION AND MAINTENANCE
In some localities, it may be a legal requirement to pass
an inspection of your vehicle’s emissions control system.
Failure to pass could prevent vehicle registration.
For states which have an I/M (Inspection and
Maintenance) requirement, this check verifies the
following: the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp)
is functioning and is not on when the engine is running,
and that the OBD (On Board Diagnostic) system is ready
Normally, the OBD system will be ready. The OBD
system may not be ready if your vehicle was recently
serviced, if you recently had a dead battery, or a battery
replacement. If the OBD system should be determined
not ready for the I/M test, your vehicle may fail the test.
Your vehicle has a simple ignition key actuated test
which you can use prior to going to the test station. To
check if your vehicle’s OBD system is ready, you must do
1. Insert your ignition key into the ignition switch.
2. Turn the ignition to the ON position, but do not crank
or start the engine.
3. If you crank or start the engine, you will have to start
this test over.
4. As soon as you turn your key to the ON position, you
will see your MIL symbol come on as part of a normal
5. Approximately 15 seconds later, one of two things will
MAINTAINING YOUR VEHICLE 255