Open as PDF
Fluid Level Check
The fluid level in the automatic transaxle should be
checked whenever the vehicle is serviced. Operation with
an improper fluid level will greatly reduce the life of the
transaxle and of the fluid.
Procedure For Checking Fluid Level
To properly check the automatic transaxle fluid level, the
following procedure must be used:
1. The vehicle must be on level ground.
2. The engine should be running at curb idle speed for at
minimum of 60 seconds.
3. Fully apply parking brake.
4. Depress the brake pedal and place the gear selector
momentarily in each gear position ending with the lever
in P (PARK).
5. Remove the dipstick and determine if the fluid is hot
or warm. Hot fluid is approximately 180°F (82°C), which
is the normal operating temperature after the vehicle has
been driven at least 24 km (15 miles). The fluid cannot be
comfortable held between the finger tips. Warm is when
the fluid is between 85° to 125°F (29° to 52°C).
Transaxle Dipstick Location
392 MAINTAINING YOUR VEHICLE