Open as PDF
Check the Battery Test Indicator (if equipped). If a light or
bright colored dot is visible in the indicator (if equipped),
DO NOT jump-start the battery.
If the indicator (if equipped) is dark or shows a green dot,
proceed as follows:
1. Wear eye protection and remove any metal jewelry
such as watch bands or bracelets that might make an
inadvertent electrical contact.
2. When boost is provided by a battery in another
vehicle, park that vehicle within booster cable reach and
without letting the vehicles touch. Set the parking brake,
place the automatic transmission in PARK and turn the
ignition switch to the OFF position for both vehicles.
3. Turn off the heater, radio and all unnecessary electrical
4. Connect one end of a jumper cable to the positive
terminal of the discharged battery. Connect the other end
of the same cable to the positive terminal of the booster
Do not permit vehicles to touch each other as this
could establish a ground connection and personal
injury could result.
5. Connect the other cable, first to the negative terminal
of the booster battery and then to the engine of the
vehicle with the discharged battery. Make sure you have
a good contact on the engine.
WHAT TO DO IN EMERGENCIES 355